JUDITH COTTON, MA, LMFT  - 818-793-1903 - Psychotherapist, Relationship Coach, Parenting Skills Educator
RSS

Recent Posts

BLOG POST #1 - RA2PP

Categories

RELATIONSHIP #1
powered by

My Blog

BLOG POST #1 - RA2PP

BLOG POST # 1
Judith Cotton, LMFT
6/4/2017

REAL ANSWERS 2 PLEASING PARTNERSHIPS

Good relationships and partnerships do not just happen. True when you meet someone for the first time you have a sense as to whether there may be a connection - or shared interests, ideas and values.  However, the relationships that last and become intimate take a great deal of energy, insight and effort.  I might even say they are a lot of work.
The other day I heard someone say (could have been on the radio) that long marriages take work and long happy marriages are lucky in that they work.  That may be true - and if it is then there are ways to improve the luck and lessen the work.
           Number one is to give up the idea that you can change your partner.  Control ends at your fingertips.  You can cause, invite make it easy for your partner to change by working on yourself.  If you stop and think before you speak to ponder on how your words will affect the other person and decide how best to say something - you may not bat a 1000 but if you are genuinely interested and come from a place of respect and caring, you will often get whatever you need.
           The other day I had a couple who resorted to yelling allegedly to get their point across. Actually, they did so in my office - After my moment of disbelief I tuned in and realized that neither one was able to hear what the other was saying - they were just yelling at each other with no listening or understanding. Nothing was going to be accomplished.  Each needed to be right - in control and had long passed whatever it was they were trying get accomplished.
             WOULD YOU RATHER BE RIGHT OR IN A RELATIONSHIP?  Defining the goal and keeping that in mind takes maturity, and calm communication.  Even when I coach parents who quite often are more right than their child is; I ask if you are the winner, what is your child?
              In Respectful Relationships there is no score keeping, no tit for tat, or retaliation you should have grown out of that by the third grade.  Be kind, authentic, accountable and respectful - and others will treat you the same way.  If they do not, then patiently find out what it might be that they do not see as kind, or respectful, and trust that how they feel is true for them.  Can you be trusted to hear feelings - just hear them and understand their validity to the other? That is what is required. It may not have been what you intended for them to feel - however it is their right to feel their own feelings.  Be ready to correct the message in order to help them FEEL differently.

12 Comments to BLOG POST #1 - RA2PP:

Comments RSS
ewrew on Monday, November 13, 2017 3:43 AM
tdyjutry

www.assignmentgeek.com.au on Monday, November 13, 2017 3:45 AM
The reals answers pleasing partnerships for the marriages take work and long happy marriages are lucky in work.Wonderful judiecotton blog I ever seen here, mostly on realized that neither one was able to hear what accomplished,keep sharing with us.

654 on Friday, December 22, 2017 2:04 AM
564

cv preparation service on Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:31 AM
Why you are so sure about it? I think these things might happen.

dolgorukovaelina on Sunday, May 20, 2018 7:29 AM
I want to admit speedy paper review that this story is very helpful

Jackman on Saturday, June 02, 2018 3:28 AM
I always love to read this type of posts.

kopiene klokker til salgs on Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:09 PM
I believe that the first step to eradication of domestic violence is to make aware of the people about this and the consequences of it.

Billige Luksus Ure on Monday, July 16, 2018 5:58 AM
Fairly certain he will have a good read.

Jarred on Sunday, July 29, 2018 12:27 AM
Good job.This is very nice and informative blog you have.linkSo you have cargo cultists (the water cooler button magically makes water flow), ESP dependent workers (you should just know which printer he means), and the inevitable they've-improved-this-tech-so-it's-sure-to-foul-up-in-unexpected-ways problem.I must master my voice if I want to be successful in the future and the time to start was right then and there.linkThis article is very nice as well as very informative.Went to celebrate and get the New Year fine shape with Scotland Hogmanay Festival.link

lorex technology Coupon on Friday, August 03, 2018 2:17 AM
You try to understand very well, will find a good result.

Joe on Saturday, September 08, 2018 7:01 AM
I am Joe Engressia, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) - Delivered By Leading Experts‎. I major in... Different Kinds of Games Hacking Credit score increase and decrease Upgrade University Grades Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp, Line, Skype Hack Delete unwanted online Pictures and Videos on any website Remove Criminal Records Tracing peoples background Hack bank accounts Apps hacking Loading all MasterCard, Bank Accounts, PayPal, Bitcoin, WU, Money Gram with untraceable credit on it. etc. We also develop hacked facebook, twitter, instagram, yahoo, gmail passwords etc. Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent do you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks. Contact: digitaldawgpoundhackergroup@gmail.com phone/whatsapp: +1(732) 639–1527 Regards..

http://asphalt8modapk.com on Saturday, September 08, 2018 7:43 AM